Research is the key to humanity’s progress. Every journal article brings us one small step closer to solving mankind’s problems.
Dr. Robert Malkin
HOW DID WE START?
IRI was born from the struggles of the COVID-19 pandemic. We wanted to continue to make research opportunities available to talented teenage students safely. We continue this mission with remote research opportunities for students from around the world. They can work with faculty from world-renowned universities from the safety of their homes. Whether you are from a rural community without access to university laboratories or just looking to boost your resume, IRI can help.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
You will choose a subject that interests you or an active research topic from one of our labs and develop a question that will drive your research. You will be placed in an IRI lab and work with a Graduate Student Mentor and university faculty (PI). From there you will pursue your research question. This is your chance to learn a lot about something you are passionate about and contribute to the current understanding of that subject.
Together we can make a difference!
IS IRI FOR ME?
- You are a teenage student (ages 14-19) or recent high school graduate (under special circumstances, IRI will accept older students).
- You are fluent in English (speaking and writing competency), since all our work happens in English. This could be a great opportunity for you to develop some science-related vocabulary!
- You don’t need a minimum GPA or required experience/coursework to join us; all applicants will be considered.
- You may have an easier time understanding the research literature if you have a coursework in biology and/or higher math/statistics.
- If you are interested in medicine or health-related careers (e.g., clinical care fields, biomedical engineering, etc.), IRI will be particularly relevant and exciting!
WHY SHOULD I JOIN IRI?
We are one of the few research programs that connects you directly with a top-tier university faculty, not just graduate students, and the only program that allows you to network with like-minded people who will support you as peer mentors.